A true Thai classic and one of our best sellers, Chicken Satay skewers. Our classic dish of chicken bamboo skewers, charcoal grilled and served with peanut sauce and Thai sweet relish is must if you love Thai food as much as we do!
This popular Thai street food dish is served and loved all across Thailand and is one of our most loved dishes across Thaikhun restaurants. We’ve put together a step-by-step guide on how to make Chicken Satay skewers so that you can try your hand at this tasty dish!
For your marinade
100ml Coconut Milk
1/2 tsp galangal (ginger is a great substitute)
2 lime leaves finely chopped
1/4 tsp malay curry powder
A pinch of roasted, ground cumin seeds
1tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp lemongrass, finely chopped
¼ tsp coriander, finely chopped
A pinch of roasted coriander seeds
A pinch of white pepper
10ml vegetable oil
For your satay sauce
2 cloves of garlic crushed
4 shallots finely chopped
1 lemongrass stalk (white part only) finely chopped
2tsp malay curry powder
1tsp tamarind puree
1 tsp chili paste
2 tsp palm sugar (brown sugar can be used)
375ml coconut milk
160g unsalted roasted peanuts roughly chopped
1 tbsp oil
To marinate your chicken
- Cut the chicken thigh into strips.
- Mix all your marinade ingredients together well and add the chicken.
- Leave the chicken to marinate in the fridge overnight.
Now for your sauce
- Heat the oil in a pan and add in the shallots, garlic, lemongrass, gradually stirring in the curry powder.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and slowly bring to the boil adding water until it becomes a sauce.
- Leave to simmer for 2 minutes to cook and season to taste.
- Soak the satay sticks in water for half an hour. Then thread the chicken thigh pieces onto the skewers.
- Grill each side until cooked thoroughly.
- Serve with a pot of your satay sauce on the side for dipping. Enjoy!
We would love to see your creations from home, don’t forget to #TKSelfie and tag us on social!